Attitude is everything. – Charles Swindoll
I learned this wisdom few years ago when I was still struggling with my own negative attitude, and it took me awhile before I was able to apply it my daily life cause old habits are indeed hard to break.
Raised in an environment of pessimist, I tend to look at the bad/negative side rather than the good/positive. Until I learned how pessimism is creating stress and lack of success in my life because I always complain on so many things. I also found it hard to relate with other people ’cause I always think I’m being criticized or attacked. I guess being pessimism makes you self-centered too ’cause you always think about you, how you think, feel or do. And how people should agree on you or else you’d start feeling negative.
3 Benefits of Keeping a Positive Attitude
The benefit in trying your best to change this negative attitude is countless. Not only your emotional feeling will improve, but also all the other aspects of your life will do too. For when you are able to shift your pessimism to optimism, your stress will lessen.
- Instead of endlessly complaining about things or people, maintaining a positive attitude helps you deal with it without feeling burdened.
- Instead of having too many hard relationships, you start to enjoy being with people by looking at their good side rather than the bad. Or you’ll start to see why it’s beneficial to avoid negative people and choose to associate with the positive ones.
- Lastly, instead of being self-centered and feeling like a victim, you’ll learn that feelings are creation of your mind. So when you learn to control your mind and emotion, you will start to see that what you feel don’t matter, it’s how you respond to what you feel.
How to Keep a Positive Attitude?
I, too, is still continuously improving my attitude. I haven’t mastered it as well. But I am trying my best to improve it.
In this article, I’ll share with you how to keep a positive attitude, or at least minimize your habit of negative thinking:
- Form good habits and be their slave. Plan ahead, wake up early and follow through your plans with actions with discipline. Strive to be productive and give your best in each day
- Be the master of your emotion. Think before you feel. Rule your mind or it will rule you.
- Be adaptable to change. You cannot control circumstance but you can control how to respond to it. Complain less, respond more.
- Maintain focus and simplicity. Learn to eliminate, sacrifice and priorities.
- Think less of what you can have or acquire, think more of what you can do, produce or create. Fulfillment is achieved from how you are able to contribute, acquiring what you want is just incidental. You are able to achieve and acquire more if you focus in productivity and contribution instead of material and non-material pleasure.
I hope this blog article has been helpful to you. For a final note, let me leave you this quote to ponder:
Attitude is a little thing that makes big difference. – Winston Churchil